Hi, Aricent came on 26th June 2008. It gave a one-hour presentation followed by written test of about 1 hour 45 minutes. There were four sections :
* Aptitude
* Attention to Detail
* Logical Reasoning
* C/C++/Java
There are several things I want to say about written test that I think would help you in some or the other way. Firstly, Aricent normally employs some other small organization to take this written test which might change from one year to another. So, DO NOT EXPECT THE SAME PATTERN next year. For our seniors, it used to be 7 sections with things like Networking, Operating Systems, DBMS, English, Email Writing also being asked. So research for the latest pattern they are following.
About the written test, it was easy if you keep in mind that you DON’T have to attempt all the questions. There was no negative marking for us. This might just change the next year so ask them beforehand.
They have sectional cut-off for each section so just make sure you do equally well in all the sections. Also they give one paper at a time.
Other than this, the written was easy. For C/C++, do Test Your C++/C Skills and you will be home.
The selected students were required to fill the Critical Incidence Form. You were given several situations and you have to quote real-life examples of how you have tackled it. Half an hour was given to fill it. It was no test and you could consult your peers on how to fill it. We did not realise how important it was till the next morning J
---------------------------------------A SLEEPLESS NIGHT--------------------------------
The interviews were scheduled on 27th June 2008.
They also conducted a GI (Group Interview) basically it was a GD (Group Discussion). A group of 12 people were given a topic, half were to speak in favour and other half in against. The topic for our group was “Is Earth Hour useful or not”
Other topics were “Should be abolish Civilian Awards or not”
They gave us a paper to read and based on facts mentioned in it, we were to discuss and reach a conclusion. It was fun.
Next came the technical interviews. About 47 people were interviewed and I was the 47th one to be interviewed so it was a long wait. J
He started with Critical Incidence Form, which we filled yesterday. He asked and discussed all the situations. Basically he wanted to see how well you can handle pressure and how well can you work in a group. He discussed the form for about 30 minutes and add 15 minutes of HR interview also.
Now that I was a SUN CA also made a difference in my being selected. I talked about various things that I did and various things I could have done. He was impressed. Please stress on the need of good communication skills as they have a major impact in making the first right impression. Equally important is to dress formally. Do not take these things lightly.
Now came the actual technical stuff. Lasted only 20 minutes or so.
* He asked me to rate myself for C and C++ on a scale of 10
I said a 7.5 for C++ and 6 for C.
* He asked me about differences in C and C++. I told him a few. He also talked about OOPS Concept and asked me explain Abstraction, Encapsulation, Inheritance and Polymorphism.
* Then he gave me a simple code and ask me its output
char c = 1;
for(; c<=255; c++)
cout<<c;
Ans : Infinite loop
* He showed me another code and asked me to find the error. Error was that the function was called before being declared. It was easy
* Now, he asked me to write a simple program using references. I swapped two numbers using references.
* Now, he switched to Networking:
- Asked me about OSI and TCP/IP Model and asked me to draw the protocol stack and also to mention one protocol used at each layer of the protocol stack
- Next, he asked me differences between TCP and UDP and their applications and usage.
- Next question was on Subnetting. He asked me how many hosts are there in 255.255.240.0 ?? I gave a wrong answer. He said no problem, just explain how you got your answer. I would be happy to know it. The crux is its not necessary to answer all the questions, but whatever you tell him, be confident and your body language and communication skills should tell him that you are a perfect candidate for their company.
* Now he asked me simple concepts of OS.
- Paging, Segmentation
- Thrashing, Solution to Thrashing
- Page replacement Algorithms
- Various Scheduling Algorithms
- Which scheduling algo is used in UNIX. Its Multilevel feedback priority queue. Something like that. I told him how ageing would prevent starvation.
- Virtual Memory and its usage.
I think it was all I was asked. You could say I had the advantage of being interviewed in the last. So my resume and my academic record worked for me. J So it can prove to be a disadvantage as well but its something that you cannot control so no point in pondering over it.
Wishing you best of luck for your placements and hope that my experience helped you. In case you have some queries, you know how to reach me.
Thanks,
Agraj Mangal
* Aptitude
* Attention to Detail
* Logical Reasoning
* C/C++/Java
There are several things I want to say about written test that I think would help you in some or the other way. Firstly, Aricent normally employs some other small organization to take this written test which might change from one year to another. So, DO NOT EXPECT THE SAME PATTERN next year. For our seniors, it used to be 7 sections with things like Networking, Operating Systems, DBMS, English, Email Writing also being asked. So research for the latest pattern they are following.
About the written test, it was easy if you keep in mind that you DON’T have to attempt all the questions. There was no negative marking for us. This might just change the next year so ask them beforehand.
They have sectional cut-off for each section so just make sure you do equally well in all the sections. Also they give one paper at a time.
Other than this, the written was easy. For C/C++, do Test Your C++/C Skills and you will be home.
The selected students were required to fill the Critical Incidence Form. You were given several situations and you have to quote real-life examples of how you have tackled it. Half an hour was given to fill it. It was no test and you could consult your peers on how to fill it. We did not realise how important it was till the next morning J
---------------------------------------A SLEEPLESS NIGHT--------------------------------
The interviews were scheduled on 27th June 2008.
They also conducted a GI (Group Interview) basically it was a GD (Group Discussion). A group of 12 people were given a topic, half were to speak in favour and other half in against. The topic for our group was “Is Earth Hour useful or not”
Other topics were “Should be abolish Civilian Awards or not”
They gave us a paper to read and based on facts mentioned in it, we were to discuss and reach a conclusion. It was fun.
Next came the technical interviews. About 47 people were interviewed and I was the 47th one to be interviewed so it was a long wait. J
He started with Critical Incidence Form, which we filled yesterday. He asked and discussed all the situations. Basically he wanted to see how well you can handle pressure and how well can you work in a group. He discussed the form for about 30 minutes and add 15 minutes of HR interview also.
Now that I was a SUN CA also made a difference in my being selected. I talked about various things that I did and various things I could have done. He was impressed. Please stress on the need of good communication skills as they have a major impact in making the first right impression. Equally important is to dress formally. Do not take these things lightly.
Now came the actual technical stuff. Lasted only 20 minutes or so.
* He asked me to rate myself for C and C++ on a scale of 10
I said a 7.5 for C++ and 6 for C.
* He asked me about differences in C and C++. I told him a few. He also talked about OOPS Concept and asked me explain Abstraction, Encapsulation, Inheritance and Polymorphism.
* Then he gave me a simple code and ask me its output
char c = 1;
for(; c<=255; c++)
cout<<c;
Ans : Infinite loop
* He showed me another code and asked me to find the error. Error was that the function was called before being declared. It was easy
* Now, he asked me to write a simple program using references. I swapped two numbers using references.
* Now, he switched to Networking:
- Asked me about OSI and TCP/IP Model and asked me to draw the protocol stack and also to mention one protocol used at each layer of the protocol stack
- Next, he asked me differences between TCP and UDP and their applications and usage.
- Next question was on Subnetting. He asked me how many hosts are there in 255.255.240.0 ?? I gave a wrong answer. He said no problem, just explain how you got your answer. I would be happy to know it. The crux is its not necessary to answer all the questions, but whatever you tell him, be confident and your body language and communication skills should tell him that you are a perfect candidate for their company.
* Now he asked me simple concepts of OS.
- Paging, Segmentation
- Thrashing, Solution to Thrashing
- Page replacement Algorithms
- Various Scheduling Algorithms
- Which scheduling algo is used in UNIX. Its Multilevel feedback priority queue. Something like that. I told him how ageing would prevent starvation.
- Virtual Memory and its usage.
I think it was all I was asked. You could say I had the advantage of being interviewed in the last. So my resume and my academic record worked for me. J So it can prove to be a disadvantage as well but its something that you cannot control so no point in pondering over it.
Wishing you best of luck for your placements and hope that my experience helped you. In case you have some queries, you know how to reach me.
Thanks,
Agraj Mangal
No comments:
Post a Comment