Friday, June 27, 2008

Aricent Interview of Sandeep Jain

Tech & HR combined...

1) Tell me something about yourself.
Well, I had given a mock interview to Vikalp Sir, and he already told me the how to answer such a question.
Proceed in this manner:
- Name, Course (MCA/M. Sc.), Graduation (from where & what course), Schooling Hobbies/Interests in brief.
- If he asks for more, then explain about your interests a little more followed by your strength/qualities (+ves).
- Do not mention your weaknesses (-ves) until asked explicitly.
- No need to mention your % in HR & Extra curricular achievements in Tech.

2) Discussed about my project (GSD-2008, we did this project under VK Madam). The role I played, the problems I faced and how I managed them (He stressed on problem solving, since I told him that I was the team leader)

3) Tell me a situation when you had conflicts with your teammates, how you resolved it.

4) Tell me situation when your teammate or partner in some other project was not capable enough and you had to help him out.


Till now his questions were based on my past experience, He then gave me three scenarios...

5) Suppose you & a partner are given a project where you do all the work & he does nothing, yet your manager is giving both of you equal credit. What will you do?

My solution: If my partner is not working then there are probably two reasons, (a) He is not capable or (b) He is purposely trying to avoid work. In the first case I would like to help him understand the work & cope up. But in the latter case, I will talk to my superior as such a person is not good for the organization's health.


6) Suppose, you are being made the TL in a project & we give you two options for selecting Team members.
- Two people, who are excellent, perfect, may be better than you & capable of doing the project themselves.
- Four people who are just Ok, not that efficient.
Whom will you choose?

My solution: If the project is high budget or it’s critical for the company's goodwill, I will simply go for the first case. Because there is no point compromising quality. However in both cases there are advantages & disadvantages.
In (a) I may get rewarded for the work that is being done by others, I might learn from them & improve myself. OR I might try to lay back because others are there to work. This will surely degrade my performance as an individual.
In (b) since they are new, there is a possibility that I might need to work overtime. However the advantage will be that they will learn & improve so the company will have 4 new & better employees.


7) Suppose, you are on a project but there is this person with whom you don’t get along well. What will you do?
My Solution: Well, there is no point in fighting. We will have to sit down & talk Man-to-Man. I guess that is the best way to resolve conflicts.


Now he started with the Technical Interview...

1) What is recursion?
2) What will you prefer recursion or iteration?
I gave him a comparison using e.g. of inorder traversal & factorial problem. I also explained the cases when we should prefer iteration or recursion.
3) Write the structure of a doubly link list.
4) Since you already mentioned Tree traversal, What is a BST?
5) He then gave me a few numbers to insert in a BST, which generated an unbalanced tree. He asked me to balance it. He basically wanted tree rotations.

The Last Question...

Is there anything that you want to ask me?
I asked him to tell me my shortcomings that he observed in me (as an ideal candidate), so that I can improve on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment