Saturday, October 24, 2009

MTree Interview of Rajat Kumar

Round 1: Aptitude + computers (1 hour 15 mins)
There were 25 aptitude questions and 45 questions based on rest computer topics (algo, data structure, c, c++). Written paper was very easy.

Round 2: Coding Test
But after the written test, I was called for interview and rest all were given one question to code. I was asked to write a code after my interview. Question given to me was to write a code to generate gray code in sequence.

Round 3: Interview
There were no separate technical and HR interviews and there were 3 persons taking the interview simultaneously.

1. How did I find the written paper? Was it easy, moderate or difficult?
Then they asked some questions from the written paper. Basically they wanted to know the reasoning for my marked answers.

2. Tell me about yourself.
Then they started asking about my family. And how will I commute to office if no transport is provided to me by company.

3. Do you know whether you’ll be getting stipend or not? What if no stipend, will I join them? What do you know about MTree Softwares?

4. What all companies visited your campus till now? What are the future plans? What package companies are offering in the campus?
I said I am not allowed to disclose all these information, its against our placement policies. They tried to ask this several times.

5. Are you in extra-curricular activities too?

Then finally the technical questions started, they asked each and every word written in my resume.

6. They started from the technical fests I attended. What type of questions were there in the prelims and mains? Is it individual or team event. Then finally they asked whats my contribution, what I have done and what mistakes I did there. Then they asked me to write prototype of printf() then the code for printf().

7. Do I like coding or just designing? Whats my favourate programming language?

8. Then next comes all the projects I have done. They asked me to explain each and every detail of it one by one. Basic concepts, use of the project, difficulties faced while doing the project, how do I solve it.

Then comes OS:
They started from IPC(one of projects I have done).
9. What is IPC? How is it solved, why it arises?
10. What is reader writer problem?
11. Do I know producer consumer problem too? What is it? Then they asked me to write the code for producer consumer.
I tried but then I said I cant write the code, but I can explain the concept. Then I explained it.
12. From the last question, is there any possibility of deadlock? How is it solved in code?
13. Can we have this situation when we code in java?
14. Can I code this in java too?
15. What all other programming language I know except C++? And which programming languages I am comfortable with?
16. What programs I have written in those languages? And basic concept of all those programs which I mentioned.

Again back to deadlocks.
17. Conditions for deadlock. Which are necessary and which are sufficient? Whats the difference between all the conditions. They said one condition leads to another, then why are they specified/studied as different conditions?
18. Can deadlocks occur in simple programming too? Have I encountered any till now?
19. Then they asked whats my favourate subject?
20. Why I have low score in academics? (this question was after seeing 72%).
21. What is the highest score in your class? Why so large difference?
22. What subjects I don’t like? I said I don’t like core mathematics.
23. What do mean by core mathematics?
24. Why I have low score in maths subjects?
25. Do I like to design algo or just the coding part of programming? I said both, then they said algo have maths, how will you manage algo with disliking of maths subjects?
26. How do I manage programming without maths?
27. My major project was from cryptography, having lots of maths work, how had I managed that?
28. What are the subjects I have studied till now? What am I studying in 5th sem?
29. How will my subjects help me in job?
30. What do you think which subject will help you most in your job? I answered DBMS.
31. How will DBMS help in Mtree?

Then comes networks:
32. What is selective repeat protocol? Have you implemented it in your lab? (this protocol is written in resume)
33. What is the use of different protocols, only one can suffice? (like go-back-n and selective repeat)
34. Where this protocol is implemented?
35. Name different layers of protocol stack?
36. Whats the use of different layers? Cant it be done in just one layer?
37. Where is selective repeat implemented? Do you remember the code? I answered data link layer and I don’t remember the code.
38. Cant it be implemented in network layer? Why or why not?
39. Every layer has its own protocols. If error control is done in data link layer, why is it again done in upper layers? It is overhead. Explain.
40. How actually the protocols are useful in communication? After I gave the answer, I was asked to fit my answer in OSI model.
41. Do you know anything about NAT?
42. Why NAT is used? Whats the basic concept behind NAT? How it is implemented?

Then finally one of the interviewer said your interview is over, would you like to give coding test also? I said yes. And then there was 30 min coding test in which I was asked to write the code to generate Gray Code in sequence. It was not difficult as I was provided with the recursive relation to generate the Gray code.

After that there was kind of second interview, in which I was supposed to optimize the code which I have written.

In between there were some questions from Java too. Some questions from the sequence of execution of programs. Some question like how do you store a graph in your program. Do you remember the code for Dijkstra’s shortest path algo?

Then my interview is over. It lasted for around 2 hours.

My suggestion: thoroughly study your resume and be prepared to answer ANY question from your resume and all the projects and achievements you have mentioned in it.

All the best

No comments:

Post a Comment