Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Adobe Interview of Sandeep Jain

Hi all,

Here it goes... :)

Written

I am not putting down the written questions as they were same to almost everyone else. But I would sincerely request that you practice all the written questions that are already available to you.


Interviews

I went through four rounds of technical interview. In all these they mostly asked about my internship at Trilogy, my current work in Decho. (So if you are going off campus make sure you are clear about your past experience)
Secondly since my interview was in Bangalore (arranged separately), The Bangalore interviewers were not aware of me being an on-campus, and they treated me more as an off-campus/experienced candidate. Probably thats why they asked a lot about my current and past work-ex.


Round 1

- Tell me something about yourself (and all those regular questions)
- Write the basic structure of linklist node?
- Now using this structure waf for reversing a link list? (I wrote iterative one)
- Show me the stack trace on this function for atleast three nodes.
- Write a similar recursive code, he again asked me to show the stack trace?
- How will you find whether a link list has loop in it? (and the stack trace of my code)
- How will you find kth node from the end? (again with stack trace of my code)
- How will you write a zip command? (basically file compression)
I gave him two ans: One replace char with char and frequency (but then I pointed out the -ves of this approach myself). Second was using Huffman code
- What are function pointers, how to use them, why to use them?

75% interview was bout, Trilogy's project, so Java, JavaScript, etc etc. BUT strictly project specific, which will never be asked to you people.

Note: I had to write these questions on white board, and he wanted me to teach him.


Round 2

- Started with puzzle, that 4 people, 17 minute river crossing question. Which we all did in the starting of our preparation. I said I already know this.
- Virtual functions, why we need them?
- Why or Why cant Constructors & Destructors be virtual?
- What happens when we make a Destructor virtual?
- Can we call virtual functions in constructor?
I said yes we can, BUT the there is no point of using the word virtual here, because polymorphism doesn't come into picture during construction.
- He gave a list of integers, asked me to make a heap out of it, then usage of heap, complexity of heap, complexity of binary search, why is it the fastest.
- Now came the big question. Write a Generalize Link List program. I didn't know what it was. So he explained: Its a list that can store any kind of data, int, char, float or double.
I gave him 3 solutions using unions, void*, and a mix of both.
- Then he asked about Templates, I said, I only know basics, not much.
- STL... I said (an assertive one) NO, never used, jst heard of it. :P
- Then he moved to pointers :D :D \:D/
- Function pointers, asked me to write 2-4 complex declarations using function pointers.
- Give a practical e.g. where you have used function pointers, where in windows do you think we use function pointers. (Thanks to windows programming & VC++)
- What happens when we throw an exception?
- How will you check if a link list is corrupted?
- Data Break points their usage (this had to do with checking of corruption)


Round 3

This guy looked scary, serious, intelligent and I was damn nervous just after looking at him (wat lag gayi thi).

- Began in the usual manner, about yourself, about the projects in Trilogy & Decho. Since both were on web apps, so he asked about EJB, how do Apache or JBoss servers work. Thn lots of things about Trilogy's project. (I answered to the best of my knowledge, thou I don't think that was sufficient)
- One puzzle, rope of uneven thickness burns in 1 hr, measure half hr. (bacho wala tha ye :P)
- Another Puzzle, two robots are designed to move either right or left, if they collide with anything they will stop, otherwise they will keep moving. Write a module such that, if I put the two robots on an infinte line, nd run Your module on both of them, in an infite loop, they shud have a high probability of collision.
- Waf that takes root of a tree and a sum. & returns if the tree has a path(root to leaf) such that sum of the nodes on this path is same as the input sum.
- Templates again, I gave the same ans.. that I know very little... (but is baar main nai bacha) he said tell me how much do u know, rather whatever you know.
- STL again, I said no.
- Benefits of using templates and STL, followed by a discussion on Java vs C/C++
- This guy also moved to function pointers, I gave my prev e.g only. but he asked for code, nd advantage of my code.
- I am developing a project that I want to work across different platforms, what would you suggest I should do? I said strictly use language standards, and no compiler dependent features.
Then he said but I need to use certain libraries of different platforms. Like we have certain ones on linux. I said you can use conditional compilation using #if & #elif etc... cuz we have certain inbuilt symbols like ___win somethin something___ whenver we need to use such code. We can keep them in such blocks (while giving this answer one more variation clicked so) I said OR you can put all dependent code in individual modules. and make an independent module that uses these. (wrapper kind of thing) in this wrapper you can use the ususal #if #elif


Round 4

This was from noida, video conference with some engg. head in Noida

- WAF which takes an integer input i (i can be 1 or 2) and returns 2 or 1 (alternates) respectively.
- Then a lot about project in Trilogy, and Decho
- Difference between GET nd POST, which is better?
- He almost exhausted me bout Decho projects. Everything and anything that I had learned in past 1 month was covered. XML, XPath whatever I knew.
- Last question, I want a sort function that can sort anything, ints, doubles, structures, even arrays, anything you can imagine. Write the prototype. Then he asked me to explain the parameters I had taken, and why I had taken them.


HR Round

This was more of a formality.
General questions on family background, brothers n sisters, what I do for leisure, why I wanted to go to Noida and all those stuff.

I hope I was of some help...
All the Best... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment