Hi ppl
ST Microelectronics came on 10th July 2008.
They gave a ppt of about an hour. It was worth attending.
It followed with a written test of 40 minutes, perhaps the easiest of all I have given so far. There were 4 sections, each having 10 questions. So you have to do 40 questions in 40 minutes.
Section 1: C Programming. It was the easiest one. 10 questions that could be done in 5 minutes or less. Questions on pointers and pointers to functions, with emphasis on their syntax.
Section 2: Oracle If you have studied Oracle, then its pretty easy, if you have not then do study it if you want to clear it. Stress on use of functions like ltrim, rtrim, replace, truncate, to_char, to_date, to_number and their formats
Section 3: OOPS It was the one which was tricky one as it has questions from UML. Things like sequence diagram and collaboration diagrams were asked. Also using relationship and link associations were asked. One could just guess the most obvious choice and had no alternative if you do not about them.
Section 4: Aptitude Again not tough. Questions were pretty simple if you know basic things, questions on ages, boats, streams, distance, speed time stuff. Normal stuff.
One good thing was that there was no negative marking and the time was plenty. Some students finished as early as 30 minutes.
15 students out of 30 were selected. I was lucky to be in 15 as written according to me kismat ka khel hain now the bad thing, I was the first one to be interviewed, so was scared. But in the end it turned out well.
TECH INTERVIEW
There were 3 ppl sitting in the room. One of them was Deepak Khaitan Sir (Our alumni 2004 batch), another was Director, and the third one was HR guy. Only the first two participated in the interview while the third one just noted how you behaved and jot down several points.
The interview started on a light note. They asked me the meaning of my name. I told them it’s a Sanskrit word and it means elder brother and I also talked about my twin brother. The director (was sitting in the middle) told me that he wanted to study my resume and asked me to relax for 2 minutes. He finished studying it and asked me, "Think that I do not have your resume, now tell me something about yourself"
He also asked about my family background and in detail about every person of my family and noted down the details on a piece of paper.
It was meant to relax you so that you can interact easily.
After that he asked me my favourite subjects. I said DS, OS (I don’t know why said OS. I regret it till now)
He started with OS and asked me
What is Thrashing ?
I told him about the concept and about the possible solutions. Then he asked
Are you comfortable with UNIX?
I again do not know why I said yes.
He asked me what is Inode ?
I fumbled and gave away the most stupid answer of my life telling him about PCB rather than Inode. :p
He asked me if I was sure and I said I wasn’t. He told me
YOU DO NOT KNOW OS. Bas meri to lag gayi. I thought now to I’m gone.
Then he started with DS.
He asked me what is heapsort and told me to write code for it.
Believe me, I wrote the whole code in 5-7 minutes that is given in Cormen (the pseudo code) without fail. I happened to revised it in the morning. Was really lucky.
He said Deepak sir to check the code while he asked me about the time complexity of heapsort and told me to compare heapsort with mergesort and quicksort.
And asked me when to use heapsort and not mergesort.
Also when to use heapsort and not quicksort.
I talked about complexity of each algo and their advantages and disadvantages. Talked about their stability and in-place(ness) also.
(Tip: Just talk confidently so that they believe you)
Meanwhile Deepak sir checked the code and told there was no mistake. I regained some confidence. Then Deepak sir asked me several questions related to DS.
Q. Declare a 2D array
Reply int a [4][4];
Q. Initialize it with all zeros.
I made two for loops and initialized it.
Q. Optimize your code
Reply memset(a, sizeof(int)*4*4), 0);
Q. Asked me how I will pass a 2D array in a function
Func(a)
Q. how would you update this array in func
I wrote the prototype of func and implemented it using double pointer.
Q. Difference between char* s = "string" and char s[] = "string"
Q. He asked me dynamically allocate 2D array
I did it
Q. Find a loop in link list.
I told him the logic by using 2 pointers. He was satisfied and didn’t asked to write code.
There were more question also. I do not remember all of them.
Beech beech main HR bhi chal raha tha,
Like I was asked that, Going through your resume I find that you have worked a lot on Java oriented technologies, what if I do not give you work in Java.
I said sir I’m flexible with any technology that you give me to work for. I’m fresher now and I think I should not restrict myself to one technology and should be flexible with any kind of work that I’m given. He was impressed.
He then asked me about Ajax(was mentioned in my resume)
It’s written that you have given a tech talk on Ajax. So tell me what is Ajax and where do you use it. I explained him with examples.
He then asked me to tell about its disadvantages. I also told him that. He discussed it to some details. I was 80% correct in my explanation.
Don’t worry you don’t need to know about Ajax if you haven’t mentioned it in your resume. But you should know each and every thing written in your resume.
He also asked me about my SMS project which I made using Swings API. He asked me to talk about it and give examples of a few classes I used, I told him all I knew.
(Tip: Prepare at least 10-15 lines on each project that you have done and mentioned in your resume so that you do not fumble there and talk about it with confidence)
He also asked my why ST?
I stated several reasons. Money, Domain, Work environment, HR policies. And explained the importance and priority of each to me.
He also asked about my likings and dislikings and the sports I play and whether I get time to play them or not.
I think your communication skills do matter so please prepare for them. Give mock interviews to your peers and seniors and talk with confidence.
He again switched back to tech with Deepak sir asking me how to reverse a doubly linked list. I did that.
If you could explain the logic well, most of the times they are satisfied and would not asked you to write code for it.
Question asked to other students that I remember
How will you implement Dictionary ?
I think something like Tri-structure is used. Not sure. Google over it.
Find 2nd max salary. Also do query to find Nth max salary. There is a correlated query for the second one. Again google.
Elevator Algorithm.
If you will say OS as your fav subject, questions will definitely come on UNIX. So be prepared for it.
Implement External Merge Sort. Tough. Google over it.
Is Java a purely object oriented language??
Reverse a circular link list. Write code for it. Its easy think about it.
Imagine that I m CEO of a big company. You are in lift with me for 30 seconds. After that the gate of lift will open and I will walk out. Sell yourself to me in 30 seconds. Pretty tough if you are not prepared for it.
HR INTERVIEW
The stress was on the question "Why ST?"
The HR was trying to know all possible reasons that I want to join ST. He told me billion reasons not to join ST and wanted satisfactory answers on each. I cannot teach how to answer those because they will vary from one to another. But you have to agree on some of his points and tell him that you won’t leave his company come what may.
I was adamant on telling him that I won’t leave ST as they always want stability in their company and thus stable guys. So I gave him several examples from my past where I went on what I think and how I followed my perception and was not influenced by others.
The other HR (who took interviews of other ppl) asked them about all you can think in a HR interview. Things like Weakness, Strengths, Liking, Disliking, Girl friend/boy friend, best friend, his strength, his weakness, your family background, famous "Describe yourself" question. Read all interview sites for commonly asked HR questions. There were no technical questions here.
I think in HR the best you could do is to communicate your point clearly to the interviewer. You communication skills matter, so does your body language and dress.
At the end 5 ppl were selected. I was one of the lucky ones. All’s well if its ends well. Best wishes to you for your interviews in case you need any more information you know how to reach me.
Cheers.
Agraj Mangal
ST Microelectronics came on 10th July 2008.
They gave a ppt of about an hour. It was worth attending.
It followed with a written test of 40 minutes, perhaps the easiest of all I have given so far. There were 4 sections, each having 10 questions. So you have to do 40 questions in 40 minutes.
Section 1: C Programming. It was the easiest one. 10 questions that could be done in 5 minutes or less. Questions on pointers and pointers to functions, with emphasis on their syntax.
Section 2: Oracle If you have studied Oracle, then its pretty easy, if you have not then do study it if you want to clear it. Stress on use of functions like ltrim, rtrim, replace, truncate, to_char, to_date, to_number and their formats
Section 3: OOPS It was the one which was tricky one as it has questions from UML. Things like sequence diagram and collaboration diagrams were asked. Also using relationship and link associations were asked. One could just guess the most obvious choice and had no alternative if you do not about them.
Section 4: Aptitude Again not tough. Questions were pretty simple if you know basic things, questions on ages, boats, streams, distance, speed time stuff. Normal stuff.
One good thing was that there was no negative marking and the time was plenty. Some students finished as early as 30 minutes.
15 students out of 30 were selected. I was lucky to be in 15 as written according to me kismat ka khel hain now the bad thing, I was the first one to be interviewed, so was scared. But in the end it turned out well.
TECH INTERVIEW
There were 3 ppl sitting in the room. One of them was Deepak Khaitan Sir (Our alumni 2004 batch), another was Director, and the third one was HR guy. Only the first two participated in the interview while the third one just noted how you behaved and jot down several points.
The interview started on a light note. They asked me the meaning of my name. I told them it’s a Sanskrit word and it means elder brother and I also talked about my twin brother. The director (was sitting in the middle) told me that he wanted to study my resume and asked me to relax for 2 minutes. He finished studying it and asked me, "Think that I do not have your resume, now tell me something about yourself"
He also asked about my family background and in detail about every person of my family and noted down the details on a piece of paper.
It was meant to relax you so that you can interact easily.
After that he asked me my favourite subjects. I said DS, OS (I don’t know why said OS. I regret it till now)
He started with OS and asked me
What is Thrashing ?
I told him about the concept and about the possible solutions. Then he asked
Are you comfortable with UNIX?
I again do not know why I said yes.
He asked me what is Inode ?
I fumbled and gave away the most stupid answer of my life telling him about PCB rather than Inode. :p
He asked me if I was sure and I said I wasn’t. He told me
YOU DO NOT KNOW OS. Bas meri to lag gayi. I thought now to I’m gone.
Then he started with DS.
He asked me what is heapsort and told me to write code for it.
Believe me, I wrote the whole code in 5-7 minutes that is given in Cormen (the pseudo code) without fail. I happened to revised it in the morning. Was really lucky.
He said Deepak sir to check the code while he asked me about the time complexity of heapsort and told me to compare heapsort with mergesort and quicksort.
And asked me when to use heapsort and not mergesort.
Also when to use heapsort and not quicksort.
I talked about complexity of each algo and their advantages and disadvantages. Talked about their stability and in-place(ness) also.
(Tip: Just talk confidently so that they believe you)
Meanwhile Deepak sir checked the code and told there was no mistake. I regained some confidence. Then Deepak sir asked me several questions related to DS.
Q. Declare a 2D array
Reply int a [4][4];
Q. Initialize it with all zeros.
I made two for loops and initialized it.
Q. Optimize your code
Reply memset(a, sizeof(int)*4*4), 0);
Q. Asked me how I will pass a 2D array in a function
Func(a)
Q. how would you update this array in func
I wrote the prototype of func and implemented it using double pointer.
Q. Difference between char* s = "string" and char s[] = "string"
Q. He asked me dynamically allocate 2D array
I did it
Q. Find a loop in link list.
I told him the logic by using 2 pointers. He was satisfied and didn’t asked to write code.
There were more question also. I do not remember all of them.
Beech beech main HR bhi chal raha tha,
Like I was asked that, Going through your resume I find that you have worked a lot on Java oriented technologies, what if I do not give you work in Java.
I said sir I’m flexible with any technology that you give me to work for. I’m fresher now and I think I should not restrict myself to one technology and should be flexible with any kind of work that I’m given. He was impressed.
He then asked me about Ajax(was mentioned in my resume)
It’s written that you have given a tech talk on Ajax. So tell me what is Ajax and where do you use it. I explained him with examples.
He then asked me to tell about its disadvantages. I also told him that. He discussed it to some details. I was 80% correct in my explanation.
Don’t worry you don’t need to know about Ajax if you haven’t mentioned it in your resume. But you should know each and every thing written in your resume.
He also asked me about my SMS project which I made using Swings API. He asked me to talk about it and give examples of a few classes I used, I told him all I knew.
(Tip: Prepare at least 10-15 lines on each project that you have done and mentioned in your resume so that you do not fumble there and talk about it with confidence)
He also asked my why ST?
I stated several reasons. Money, Domain, Work environment, HR policies. And explained the importance and priority of each to me.
He also asked about my likings and dislikings and the sports I play and whether I get time to play them or not.
I think your communication skills do matter so please prepare for them. Give mock interviews to your peers and seniors and talk with confidence.
He again switched back to tech with Deepak sir asking me how to reverse a doubly linked list. I did that.
If you could explain the logic well, most of the times they are satisfied and would not asked you to write code for it.
Question asked to other students that I remember
How will you implement Dictionary ?
I think something like Tri-structure is used. Not sure. Google over it.
Find 2nd max salary. Also do query to find Nth max salary. There is a correlated query for the second one. Again google.
Elevator Algorithm.
If you will say OS as your fav subject, questions will definitely come on UNIX. So be prepared for it.
Implement External Merge Sort. Tough. Google over it.
Is Java a purely object oriented language??
Reverse a circular link list. Write code for it. Its easy think about it.
Imagine that I m CEO of a big company. You are in lift with me for 30 seconds. After that the gate of lift will open and I will walk out. Sell yourself to me in 30 seconds. Pretty tough if you are not prepared for it.
HR INTERVIEW
The stress was on the question "Why ST?"
The HR was trying to know all possible reasons that I want to join ST. He told me billion reasons not to join ST and wanted satisfactory answers on each. I cannot teach how to answer those because they will vary from one to another. But you have to agree on some of his points and tell him that you won’t leave his company come what may.
I was adamant on telling him that I won’t leave ST as they always want stability in their company and thus stable guys. So I gave him several examples from my past where I went on what I think and how I followed my perception and was not influenced by others.
The other HR (who took interviews of other ppl) asked them about all you can think in a HR interview. Things like Weakness, Strengths, Liking, Disliking, Girl friend/boy friend, best friend, his strength, his weakness, your family background, famous "Describe yourself" question. Read all interview sites for commonly asked HR questions. There were no technical questions here.
I think in HR the best you could do is to communicate your point clearly to the interviewer. You communication skills matter, so does your body language and dress.
At the end 5 ppl were selected. I was one of the lucky ones. All’s well if its ends well. Best wishes to you for your interviews in case you need any more information you know how to reach me.
Cheers.
Agraj Mangal
No comments:
Post a Comment